World Hepatitis Day 2022

World Hepatitis Day is one of the global health campaigns earmarked by World Health Organization to be observed on July 28 every year. It aims to increase the global awareness of hepatitis and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Hepatitidies (Plural; of Hepatitis) are a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E. They affect hundreds of millions of people worldwide, causing short term acute (A and E) and long term chronic (B,C and D) diseases, and killing close to 1.34 million people every year. In some countries Hepatitis B & C are the commonest causes of cirrhosis and can also cause liver cancer (HCC). About 15 million people in Pakistan live with hepatitis B or C, with the overwhelming majority unaware of their disease and lack the knowledge about how the viral infection can be prevented and treated. The prevalence of hepatitis B in Pakistan is around 2.5%, while that of hepatitis C is 5%. But the prevalence is much higher than average in some districts of upper Sindh, Punjab, and Balochistan. About 300 people die in Pakistan every day due to complications caused by hepatitis, a much higher fatality rate than the current Covid-19 pandemic in Pakistan. PSSLD makes every effort to highlight this day in Pakistan by holding seminars and conferences all over Pakistan on this day and requesting dignitaries and health policy makers to attend and chair these sessions.

PSSLD is actively pursuing its goals of a Hepatitis free Pakistan, and for that purpose has repeated collaborated with international and national societies to hold conferences and seminars aimed at educating both the public at large and the doctor community specifically, and to bring in foreign experts and expertise to Pakistan to train our doctors. This year too a series of seminars were held all over Pakistan, either directly by PSSLD or in collaboration with it, to increase the awareness of hepatitis in general public.

World Hepatitis Day 2022 – Press Club of Rawalpindi

Date: July 28, 2022
Location: Rawalpindi

PSSLD on its unrelending efforts to make Pakistan hepatitis free society and in observance of the World Hepatitis Day – the 28th of July is continuing to hold conferences, meetings and seminars. To commemorate this World Hepatitis Day and to increase the awareness of the public about hepatitis PSSLD members went to the Press Club of Rawalpindi today on the 27th of July and talked to the members of the Press Club and the journalist present there. Members of the PSSLD told the journalist about the prevalence of hepatitis in Pakistan and how serious the condition was. They also informed the journalist that Pakistan had the highest burden of hepatitis C in the world, and about 5 to 7.5% population is infected. Another 2.5% population suffers from Hepatitis B. That makes the total of about 9 to 10% of the population which is infected by hepatitis or about one in every 10 to 11 people. Both hepatitis B and C are spread by contaminated syringes and needles. The reuse of used syringes happens when used syringes are repacked and sold cheap. The use of injections is one of the common causes but also important in the transmission of both B and C are the reuse of razors by Barbers, tattooing of the skin, piercings of the nose and the ears. Hepatitis A and E on the other hand cause a self limiting illness of 4 to 8 weeks. They are spread by contaminated water. To ensure the purity the water it should be boiled. These short talks by Prof Amjad Salamat – President PSSLD, Prof Masood Siddiq – former President PSSLD, Dr Mohammad Salih – Vice President PSSLD, and Dr Junaid Saleem – Media Secy PSSLD were followed by a Q and A session. Meanwhile a free camp had been arranged in collaboration with pharma industry to screen the hepatitis status of the journalists present. All were screened.